Since my neighbor brought us over so many peaches today, I figured I needed to make a dessert with them! Tasty cobbler southern style. Crispy butter-fried dough puffs up and bakes all around the juicy-sweet peach slices. Again, the hint of cinnamon (barely a whiff) really brings out the depth of that golden peach flavor. THIS Mama isn’t kidding when she says “fresh” peach cobbler!
Southern Georgia Peach Cobbler
2 T cornstarch
1 1/2 cups raw sugar
6 peaches, cut into 1/2″ slices
3 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 rounded T raw sugar
1 cup light vegan margarine or butter
9 oz vanilla soymilk (or whole milk)
2 T raw sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 13X9″ GLASS baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Whisk the cornstarch (cinnamon and nutmeg if desired) into the 1 1/2 cups sugar, then fold in the peaches.
3. Pour the peaches into the baking dish, and bake for 15 minutes – just until bubbling.
4.Meanwhile, toss together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 6 rounded T sugar.
5.Cut the vegan marg or butter into the flour mixture, using your hands or the food processor, until the flour resembles course meal.
6. Add the milk to the flour mixture, and stir just until a soft dough forms.
7.Scoop the dough in 1/3 cup piles onto the hot fruit mixture. Sprinkle the dough with the remaining 2 T sugar.
6. Bake Southern Georgia Peach Cobbler until golden brown – approx. 25 to 35 minutes. Serve warm, with vanilla ice cream or vegan ice cream!
My Recipe Blog